Yesterday we had orientation at ICS where we went over housing guidelines, the bus system, the bike system, cell phone use, etc. It was definitely informative and it was nice to start meeting other international students. We also took a language proficiency test and I placed into the Advanced level which allows me to take classes at the University. On Monday I'll be meeting with the Academic Director to finalize my schedule. Then on the 25th we have a tour of the University and a welcome meeting with all the students. Classes start on the 28th. I met one other girl so far who is taking classes at the University. I'm not sure what she's planning to do with her extra time yet. So we'll see.
For dinner last night Stephanie and I went to the bar our host parents own and Miriam cooked for us there. We had toast topped with (I think) pimento leaves, a fried egg, prosciutto and a thick paste-like sauce called mojo picon made with garlic, cumin and chilies in it. It was delicious! After dinner we met up with other students from ICS and walked to the Center and across the river to our welcome party at a local bar. We all got a free drink, so I tried some sangría. We stayed there for a while then went to a different bar right on the river. Here's a picture of me there. I couldn't get a focused picture of me and the background at the same time so the second picture is at the same exact spot but you can see the River Guadalivir and the Torre de Oro (Gold Tower) in the background.
Today Miriam went to pick up her daughters from the beach so she left us food to heat up for lunch. We had tortilla de patatas (which is like a huge fluffy omlette with potatoes and onions) and albondigas (spanish meatballs). I've really enjoyed all of the meals I've had here so far. I'm still adjusting to lunch being the biggest meal of the day rather than dinner but it does make sense to have the largest meal in the middle of the day. It'll probably be weird to adjust back to American lunches when I get back. I think Stephanie and I are going to go shopping later and possibly meet up with some other students from ICS.
Oh, I keep forgetting to mention that Stephanie and I found out that Miriam and Alfonso have been hosting students for almost 10 years. It's nice to know that they have lots of experience and know what to expect.
I love all the descriptions of the food! That is the favorite part of your blogs. :-)
ReplyDeleteMiss you!
tortilla de patatas was kevin's and my fave meal when we were in spain.
ReplyDelete