"A memorable dinner"
Today deserves a second post. Dinner was quite the experience tonight but the story really begins last night. My host family went to the beach again this past weekend and spent time on their boat. After they returned home last night I went into the kitchen to get some water and my host dad had some fish laying out on the counter. Whole fish. Heads and all. It turns out they were tuna fish that he caught over the weekend. So he was salting them and preparing to cook them. Stephanie and I had already eaten dinner by the time they got back so we didn't eat any of the fish last night but were expecting to have it for lunch today. However, we had lentil soup, which was delicious and very filling. Since dinner is usually a lighter meal, Stephanie and I were expecting soup and sandwhiches or something like that for dinner tonight. So, we were very surprised when we walked into the kitchen. Each of our plates had a TON of tuna sprinkled with olive oil. We've had some pasta with olive oil on it lately and I have decided that I don't particularly care for the flavor of it slathered on my food. But, there wasn't a ton on the tuna so it wasn't too bad.
Before tonight, I had never eaten fish that still had the bones in it and some of the skin left on. One of my pieces even still had the fin but at least the head was gone by the time the fish made it to my plate! Regardless, it did make me feel a little squeamish. I definitely don't enjoy the feeling of tiny little bones in my mouth. Overall though, I enjoyed the tatste of the tuna but the presentation did very little to help my appetite. Not to mention, it was a very large portion of fish. I'm used to having much smaller pieces. I'm still getting accustomed to eating seafood but I definitely have come a long way since I was a kid.
This is somewhat of an afterthought now but I've been meaning to mention it. Stephanie and I have noticed that people don't eat with their hands very much here. For instance, our host dad ate a hamburger (they're a little different than our hamburgers) with a knife and fork. I think the only thing I've seen my family eat with their hands is pizza.
On another note, I don't really proofread my posts so I am sorry if they don't flow well sometimes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't like my food looking at me while I'm trying to eat it, either.
ReplyDeleteI can't remember where we were in spain, but bass prepared in a coating of salt was one of the dishes. They cleared the salt off when eaten, and it was pretty good. Salted Sea Bass is what it's called I think.
ReplyDeleteParece que estás teniendo un buen momento.
ReplyDelete¿está bastante allí? ¿Hay montañas?
Ugh gosh that sounds so sick. Bet u miss panda...
ReplyDeleteDaddy called me just to see if I had read this post. He thought it was the funniest thing ever. Just thought you'd like to know.
ReplyDelete